Friday, May 17, 2013

Thursday, Day 5 -- Arches NP

Another morning that I woke up early and very well rested. It was warm overnight so I left the sleeping bag open and just slept under a light throw.

I made Huevos Rancheros for breakfast, yummy. I left camp around 9 am and headed to Canyonlands but changed my mind at the last minute and went to Arches instead. My reasoning is that Arches will be more crowded on a Friday instead of a Thursday.

My first stop was the visitor center. I spoke to a ranger at the desk to ask suggestions on easy hikes and how to see the most in a single day. He was very unhelpful and just short of rude telling me to just read the newspaper I was handed at the entrance. Wow, in all the time I have spent visiting parks I have never been spoken to like that. Sometimes I want a real persons opinion face to face instead of just what I can read. I didn't let it ruin my day.

I stopped at all the pull outs and took a short hike at the windows area. I took lots of pictures. I chatted with a few people I met at the stops and took some family pictures for them.
Sand Arch


I saw a rattle snake at the windows parking area hiding by the trash cans. I even took his portrait, but with a longer lens, no way was I going to get close even if he was little and cute.
Rattle snake at Arches

Me at Balancing Rock


Me again





I think they look like goggles, not windows.

I keep seeing this shape all over the park.


This area is not friendly to those that would hike off the trail.
Balancing Rock



















No comments:

Post a Comment